Library Style Binding
Follow the sequence of operations suggested for Case Binding up to Step 6, then
- Make endpapers, to include a waste sheet.
- Make split boards.
- Sew on endpapers.
- Tip up first and last sections and leaves.
- Glue up, using thin, hot flexible glue.
- When dry, trim the edges and decorate if required.
- Round and back the book.
- Clean off and set the back.
- Make the flange from the waste sheet.
- Cut boards to size, and allow for groove.
- Reduce the size of the flange.
- Glue inside the split and insert the flange.
- Adjust the boards, to allow for the squares.
- Allow for the French groove.
- Press for several hours, until dry.
- Reinforce the spine and joint area with mull and Kraft paper.
- Apply a hollow back if required.
- Pare the leather for a leather covered book (may be applied to a tight back).
- Cover in a suitable material.
- For a leather covered book, trim out, fill in and apply siding material.
- Glue or paste down the endpapers.
- Press for 8 hours.
- Hand tool the spine.
- Apply foil, gold leaf or blind-tooling if required.
Back to Bookbinding